Monday, February 18, 2008

Project 'SilverlightProject1' could not be opened because the Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 compiler could not be created. Unable to find required file

I've been working fine with Silverlight under my VS 2005 installation but recently I said I'd start doing that work in VS2008. So I installed the Silverlight tools for VS2008 and found a nice new project template for Silverlight projects and class libraries. I clicked it and got a nice Error:

Project 'SilverlightProject2' could not be opened because the Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 compiler could not be created. Unable to find required file 'mscorlib.dll'.

So I hunted around the web and ended up on ScottGu's blog, surprise:) Some said ditch VB.NET and use C#. Sure enough the C# project worked fine, grrrr. So I uninstalled Silverlight 1.0 and tried the Silverlight 1.1 alpha September refresh. Guess what all is OK. Works a charm in VB.NET.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks I also get this error. C# worked for me too. I'm surprised your blog was all I've seen on this error.